POI conducts primarily investigator initiated research. POI its colleagues develop research questions, and funding is then sought to support the investigation. Funders may have related research questions that they want to investigate, and collaboratively a protocol is written that achieves the objectives of POI and the funding source.
POI has recieved funding from the following sources:
- Taussig Cancer Center Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Cancer Institute/Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
- The National Institutes of Health
- Merck Corporation
- Terry Fox Foundation
- Carl Zeiss Inc.
- Transamerica Corporation
- Digene Corporation (now Qiagen)
- Cytyc Corporation (now Hologic Inc.)
- Optical Biopsy Tech. LLC.,
- Molecular Diagnostics Inc.
- Rotary International
- The State of Ohio – Ohio Technology Action Fund Grant
- The Imalux Corporation
- Third Wave Technologies (Hologic Inc.)
- Gen-Probe, Inc.
- Private donors